Salutatio Vespertina by Evan Millner

Link: http://tarheelreader.org/2009/05/23/salutatio-vespertina/

Status: reviewed; query pending

Queries: I couldn't follow this part:
Carolus: Bonus vesper! (the idea being "bonus tibi vesper sit" or something like that)
Demetrius: Bonum serum. Non sero! (difference between serum and vesper not clear to me, and I did not understand what it meant to use both serum and sero together like this)
... maybe I am missing something here - I see that this is part of the text in Heyden, but I still couldn't follow it...?

Comments: Please add your comments below! In particular, please indicate any typographical or other errors you notice that need to be corrected.

2 comments:

  1. I assumed it was a little joke: One is replying to the other, Good evening,then makes a little joke
    " it isn't late yet..."
    Maybe this is too much for a beginning reader, as it needs explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was guessing it might be something like that - maybe if you spelled it out more fully:
    Vesper bonus et serum bonum tibi sit - sed sero adhuc non est.
    Or something like that...? You can decide what is best - to expand on it, or leave it out. The rest of it was much easier to follow! :-)

    ReplyDelete